What Do You Know About Dublin, CA?

Dublin Logo2




City of Dublin, California Quiz

Q – What is Dublin’s nickname?

A – “Crossroads of the Bay Area”


Q – Why is Dublin called this?

A – Most people believe that it’s because Dublin sits at the crossroads of two major highways: Interstate 580 and Interstate 680.  However, the significance of the crossroads dates back more than 200 years when Dublin served as the crossroads of two important stage routes – one from the Bay Area to Stockton and the other from Martinez to San Jose. The Alamilla Spring, located in the Dublin area, provided a place for travelers to change horses and freshen up before continuing their journey.


Q – When did buildings begin to be built in Dublin?

A – It wasn’t until approximately 1835 when building began in the area. Jose Maria Amador had been paid in land for his years of service as a Mexican soldier and as administrator of Mission San Jose. He received a land grant of 16,517 acres in the Amador-Livermore Valley. He built several adobe homes and many small buildings that were used as shops where his Indian workers made soap, blankets, shoes, farm tools, etc., for use on his ranch.


Q – Who was the first major developer in Dublin?

A – In 1850, Michael Murray and Jeremiah Fallon came to this area from Ireland. They purchased 1,000 acres of land from Jose Amador and built homes for their families. The area began to grow as many settled in the area.


Q – How and when was Alameda County created?

A – In 1853, Alameda County was created from parts of Contra Costa and Santa Clara counties.

Q – Where and when was the first school built in the Tri-Valley?

A – In 1877 the Murray Schoolhouse was constructed in Dublin, along with a church, two hotels, Green’s Store, a wagon and blacksmith shop, and a shoemaker’s shop.


Q – What historic figures are buried in the Dublin Cemetery?

A – Now located on Donlan Way, members of the Donner Party Expedition are buried here.


Q – When was Dublin incorporated?

A – 1982.


Q – How did Dublin get its name?

A – It was founded on the aspirations of emigrants from the Emerald Isle (Dublin, Ireland).


Much of this information has been excerpted from Virginia Bennett’s book “Reflections.” Copies of this book and other historical information can be found at the Dublin Public Library (http://www.aclibrary.org/dublin)

If you are interested in buying or selling a home in the Tri-Valley please contact Michael “Soon” Lee, CRS, GRI at (925) 864-8848 or michael@rogbmc.com.

Michael "Soon" Lee, CRS, GRI
Michael “Soon” Lee, CRS, GRI

Leave a Reply